PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF AFFORDABLE HOUSING
The information contained in this Request for Proposals document (“RFP”) or subsequently provided to Applicants, whether verbally or in documentary or any other form by or on behalf of Family Homes Funds Limited (In Formation (“the Company”) , or any of its employees or advisers, is provided to Applicants on the terms and conditions set out in this RFP and such other terms and conditions subject to which such information is provided.
The (Company FHFL), its employees and advisers make no representation or warranty and shall have no liability to any person including any Applicant under any law, statute, rules or regulations or tort, principles of restitution or unjust enrichment or otherwise for any loss, damages, cost or expense which may arise from or be incurred or suffered on account of anything contained in this RFP or otherwise, including the accuracy, adequacy, correctness, reliability or completeness of the RFP and any assessment, assumption, statement or information contained therein or deemed to form part of this RFP or arising in any way in this Selection Process.
The (Company FHFL) also accept no liability of any nature whether resulting from negligence or otherwise, howsoever caused, arising from reliance of any Applicant upon the statements contained in this RFP.
The (Company FHFL) may in its absolute discretion, but without being under any obligation to do so, update, amend or supplement the information, assessment or assumption contained in this RFP.
The issue of this RFP does not imply that the (Company FHFL) is bound to select an Applicant or to appoint the Selected Applicant, as the case may be for the consultancy and the (Company FHFL) reserves the right to reject all or any of the proposals without assigning any reason whatsoever. The Applicants shall bear all costs associated with or relating to the preparation and submission of Proposals including but not limited to preparation, copying, postage, delivery fees, expenses associated with any demonstrations or presentations which may be required by the (Company FHFL) or any other costs incurred in connection with or relating to its Proposal.
All such costs and expenses will remain with the Applicant and the (Company FHFL) shall not be liable in any manner whatsoever for the same or for any other costs or other expenses incurred by an Applicant in preparation or submission of the Proposal, regardless of the conduct or outcome of the Selection Process.
The Family Homes Funds Limited (FHFL) is a social housing initiative promoted by the Federal Government of Nigeria as part of its Social Intervention Programme. The Company is a Limited Liability Company with initial shareholding by the Federal Ministry of Finance and the Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority. Over the next 4 years, the company aims to invest up to N1.3trn in promoting the development of 500,000 homes for people on low income. In the process, the Company also aims to create up to 1,500,000 jobs.
To achieve this goal, FHFL has set up a Project Management Department (PMD) which is tasked with the responsibility to oversee the successful completion of the projects. With the assistance of project management consultants, the PMD is to ensure that these procedures are implemented consistently and effectively and that they are reviewed regularly to reflect the requirements of the Contracts throughout the durations of works.
Based on this, the PMD on behalf of the Company (FHFL) is requesting proposals from qualified Project Management Firms in the field of construction to oversee the construction of new affordable houses across the various zones in Nigeria. The submissions by bidders should be submitted in accordance with the specifications, terms, and conditions shown in this Request for Proposals (RFP). This RFP is being released to identify experienced and eligible Project management experts in the field of construction to oversee, evaluate, monitor, give timely progress report with regards to the construction of affordable houses across the four states. Prospective respondents are advised to read this information carefully prior to submitting a proposal.
SCOPE OF WORK
FHFL has been in partnership with various partners in the construction of low-cost mass affordable houses across the different geopolitical zones in Nigeria. In quest to ensure quality assurance and control over its projects, the Fund established the Project Management Department (PMD) with the objective to oversee quality management for all stages of pre-development, development and post development stage of its projects.
In line with this objective, the FHFL is hereby inviting to pre-qualify prospective project managers who will be tasked to oversee project management services for the construction of these houses by the developers.
These locations have been divided into various Lots according to the zones:
Lot 1 – Projects in North Eastern States which are Borno, Bauchi, Adamawa, Yobe, Taraba and Gombe State.
Lot 2 – Projects in North Western States which are Jigawa, Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto and Zamfara.
Lot 3 – Projects in North Central States which are Benue, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger, Plateau and FCT.
Lot 4 – Projects in South Eastern States which are Abia, Anambra, Ebonyi, Enugu and Imo.
Lot 5 – Projects in South Southern States which are Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Rivers, Delta and Edo.
Lot 6 – Projects in South Western States which are Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun, Osun and Oyo.
SCOPE OF SERVICES
FHFL seeks to engage project management firms to provide comprehensive coordination and support services during pre-development, development and post development stages of its projects. The key responsibility of the project management firms will be the provision of their professional services under a consortium of other building professionals in order to the deliver low-cost mass housing projects in line with the requirement of FHFL mass housing objectives.
The scope of services outlined is to set out the responsibilities of the project management firm. These includes:
- Design and Technical Evaluation.
- Review Architectural, Structural, MEP drawings, Bills of Quantities and other documents to ensure its adequacy for the execution of the project.
- Technically assess and evaluate all construction elements and systems in line with the PMD’s objectives.
- Certify that designs and project documentation have been prepared according to principles guiding the building industry.
- Review the bill of quantities and estimates presented by each of the developers and report discrepancies to the PMD.
- Examine the construction budgets presented by each of the developers and determine monitoring techniques to assess their financial performance based on deliverables.
- Ensure adequate assessment of project risk.
- Review the construction strategy and work plan presented by each of the developers in line with the objectives of the PMD.
- Providing recommendations on awards of contract.
- Monitor the execution of project and track actual progress in line with the signed contract documentation.
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
- Ensuring the highest quality of workmanship is reflected in the construction.
- Review project submission in compliance with the PMD quality control Objectives.
- Ensuring the Project remains within budget as agreed with the PMD.
- Ensuring that PMD is kept apprised of work in progress, unusual disruptions and changes in schedules.
- Ensuring that all project submittals and construction are in compliance with the design intent.
- Collecting and organizing submittals, contracts, reports, logs, and other supporting documentation necessary on the behalf of the PMD from various sites.
- First responder to delays or problems encountered at project sites.
- Project Manager will also advise on changes required to move the project past the encountered issue(s).
- Value engineering assistance and best construction practices recommendations.
- Provide the PMD with independent opinion in respect to the location, technical quality of proposals and project cost in relation to market benchmark.
- Provide weekly and monthly QA/QC reports for the whole works.
- Valuation and Budget Control.
- Review and assess the valuation stages with the PMD against disbursements made to developers/contractors.
- Ensure budget control measures are in place for effective monitoring.
- Cost-estimating individual projects and advising PMD on matters pertaining to the overall project budget;
- Reviewing, reconciling and validating payment applications and invoices from developers/ contractors.
- Review cost variations, change requests, claims and more.
- Ensuring that statutory health and safety guidelines are met and adhered to at each respective project
- Ensuring the adherence to national building codes and other regulatory.
- Strategic Advisory Roles.
- Working with the PMD on to develop Target cost indicator and pricing Framework.
- Monitoring Performance management and periodic review of projects in the various geopolitical zones.
- Provide professional guidance on best practice and standards to the PMD.
- Endorsement of reports and valuation certificates forwarded to the PMD.
PROPOSAL GUIDELINES AND FORMAT
The prospective project management firms are required to submit their proposals in the following format:
- Approach and Strategy: Kindly provide a brief statement on the following.
- Background of your understanding of the locations under the Lot(s) you selected based on the following headers.
- Background statements
- Your competitive advantage to the locations
- Understanding of key challenges and risk factors of managing construction projects in the area and strategic approach to mitigate it.
- Key Strategy statements in relation to managing projects of low-cost mass housing for a financial institution of such nature on the following headings (putting into cognizance your understanding of the locations and risk factors mentioned above).
- Design and Technical Assessments
- Quality assurance and quality control
- Valuation and budget control
- Compliance and submittals
- Strategy of working as Consortium for project management
- Proposal of Consortium approach to deliver project management services pouting into cognizance your strategy in A and B above.
- Proposed structure of your working relation in a consortium of firms to deliver the project management services.
B. Company Profile: This should include the following information:
- Name of Firm
- Address and email of the Firm
- Corporate profile document.
- Similar experience in past projects and their coverage area.
The experience in past projects should demonstrable the ability to manage a broad multi-disciplinary construction and professional services contracts simultaneously. Please discuss (no more than) Five completed project management contracts completed by members of the Project Team that are comparable, in scope and complexity, to the requirements of this solicitation. Provide references for each project.
- List of key personnel
- Organizational Structure
- Project Team for execution
- A seasoned project management team is an essential element of a successful proposal. Please identify the essential personnel who would be assigned to work and provide a summary of their qualifications and experience.
The following guidelines are provided for standardizing the preparation and submission of proposals. The intent is to assist respondents in the preparation of their submission and to assist FHFL by simplifying the review process providing standards for comparison of submissions. Statements submitted in response to this RFP shall include a complete response to the requirements in this section in order presented. Statements should be a straightforward delineation of the respondent’s capability to satisfy the intent and requirements of this RFP and should not contain redundancies and conflicting statements.
Proposals shall be printed double-sided, submitted on standard A4 paper, with easy to read font size and style. Pages shall be numbered and bound (spiral/ three-ring binder). Tabbed dividers should separate and identify the response items described below.
Respondents must submit one signed original, two copies, and one electronic (USB flash drive preferred) copy of the proposals Family Homes Limited by 12:00pm on Thursday 31st January, 2020.
Proposals shall contain the following information in the order listed:
- Introductory Letter
The introductory letter should be addressed to:
The Managing Director.
Family Homes Funds Limited,
3rd Floor Sinoki House, Ademulegun Street, CBD- Abuja.
Attention: Head, Project Management Department.
The letter should state the project management Firm and include mailing address, telephone number, and contact name. The cover letter shall include a statement acknowledging the conditions stated in the RFP, referencing any exceptions contained in the response, and be signed by an authorized officer of your company. The authorized officer is responsible for answering any questions relevant to the proposal and would have the responsibility relative to the submission.
- The Proposal
Submission based on the proposal format requested which should include all the information in the following:
- Approach and Strategy
- Company Profile
- Experience in past projects
- Conflict of Interest Statement
Submit a statement regarding any activities or relationships of the responder that might create a conflict of interest for the responder or FHFL, and, if such activities or relationships exist, a description of the facts, legal implications, and possible effects sufficient to permit FHFL to appreciate the significance of the conflict and react as appropriate.
Note any exceptions to the RFP requirements in their entirety.
- Supportive Information
This section may include graphs, charts photos, maps, references, etc., in support of the respondent’s qualifications and competence.
EVALUATION AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Project Selection Process
In order to be considered, a proposal consistent with the terms of this RFP must be submitted. PMD shallreview the responses to this RFP for completeness and evaluate them against the stated criteria. Once the proposal has been determined to be eligible and complete, it will be reviewed by a nominated committee for recommended action. The committee will then select and recommend the most competent company to oversee the various construction projects around the states.
The company selected will be invited to a kick-off meeting. The meeting will provide an opportunity for developers to meet with the committee for a question and answer session. The main objective of themeeting will be to review work plan and expectation.
- Evaluation of Proposals
Applications will be evaluated, and the project manager selected based on the following criteria:
- Approach and Strategy (75%)
- Background of your understanding of the locations under the Lot(s) you selected based on the following headers (Total – 20%)
- Background statements (5%)
- Your competitive advantage to the locations (5%)
- Understanding of key challenges and risk factors of managing construction projects in the area and strategic approach to mitigate it (10%).
- Key Strategy statements in relation to managing projects of low-cost mass housing for a financial institution of such nature on the following headings (putting into cognizance your understanding of the locations and risk factors mentioned above.) (Total – 40%).
- Design and Technical Assessments (10%)
- Quality assurance and quality control (10%)
- Valuation and budget control (10%)
- Compliance and Strategic Advisory Roles (10%)
- Strategy of working as Consortium for project management (Total – 15%)
- Proposal of Consortium approach to deliver project management services pouting into cognizance your strategy in A and B above (10%).
- Proposed structure of your working relation in a consortium of firms to deliver the project management services (5%).
B. Company Profile (5%) This should include the following information:
- Name of Firm
- Address and email of the Firm
- Corporate profile document
- Similar experience in past projects and their coverage area (20%).
- List of key personnel (5%)
- Organizational Structure (5%)
- Project Team for execution (10%).
- Late Proposals
Proposals arriving after the specified date and time will not be considered, nor will late proposals beopened. Each respondent assumes responsibility for timely submission of its proposal.
- Withdrawal or Modifications of Proposals
Any proposal may be withdrawn or modified by a written request signed by the respondents and received by FHFL prior to the final time and date for the receipt of proposals. Once the deadline is past, respondents are obligated to fulfill the terms of their proposal.
- Proposal Acceptance and Rejection
FHFL reserves the right to accept any proposal, to reject any and all proposals, and to call for new proposals, or dispense with the proposal process.
- Proposal Evaluation and Award
Evaluation will be made on the basis of the weighted scoring as noted in Evaluation and Selection Criteria section. The PMD Team and the set committee shall evaluate proposals submitted by project management firms.
Project management firms that were not selected shall be notified in writing.
Nothing herein shall obligate FHFL to award a contract to any responding application.